Pivotal Trans-Pacific Partnership Section Revealed
The TPP has been shrouded in secrecy from the beginning because the Obama administration knows that the more people know about it, the more they will oppose the agreement. The release of the full Intellectual Property chapter today by Wiikileaks confims what had been suspected, the Obama administration has been an advocate for transnational corporate interests in the negotiations even though they run counter to the needs and desires of the public.
This is not surprising since we already knew that 600 corporate advisers were working with the US Trade Representative to draft the TPP. This means that for nearly four years some of the top corporate lawyers have been inserting phrases, paragraphs and whole sections so the agreement suits the needs of corporate power, while undermining the interests of people and the planet.
Now from these documents we see that the US is isolated in its aggressive advocacy for transnational interests and that there are scores of areas still unresolved between the US and Pacific nations. The conclusion: the TPP cannot be saved. It has been destroyed by secret corporate advocacy. It needs to be rejected. Trade needs to be negotiated with a new approach — transparency, participation of civil society throughout the process, full congressional review and participation, and a framework that starts with fair trade that puts people and the planet before profits.
Congress needs to reject Fast Track Trade Promotion Authority as these documents show the Obama administration has been misleading the people and the Congress while trying to bully other nations. This flawed agreement and the secrecy essential to its becoming law need to be rejected.
For more on the TPP visit www.FlushTheTPP.org
Today, 13 November 2013, WikiLeaks released the secret negotiated draft text for the entire TPP (Trans-Pacific Partnership) Intellectual Property Rights Chapter. The TPP is the largest-ever economic treaty, encompassing nations representing more than 40 per cent of the world’s GDP. The WikiLeaks release of the text comes ahead of the decisive TPP Chief Negotiators summit in Salt Lake City, Utah, on 19-24 November 2013. The chapter published by WikiLeaks is perhaps the most controversial chapter of the TPP due to its wide-ranging effects on medicines, publishers, internet services, civil liberties and biological patents. Significantly, the released text includes the negotiation positions and disagreements between all 12 prospective member states.
The TPP is the forerunner to the equally secret US-EU pact TTIP (Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership), for which President Obama initiated US-EU negotiations in January 2013. Together, the TPP and TTIP will cover more than 60 per cent of global GDP.
Leaked Documents Reveal Obama Administration Push for Internet Freedom Limits, Terms That Raise Drug Prices in Closed-Door Trade Talks
U.S. Demands in Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement Text, Published Today by WikiLeaks, Contradict Obama Policy and Public Opinion at Home and Abroad
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Secret documents published today by WikiLeaks and analyzed by Public Citizen reveal that the Obama administration is demanding terms that would limit Internet freedom and access to lifesaving medicines throughout the Asia-Pacific region and bind Americans to the same bad rules, belying the administration’s stated commitments to reduce health care costs and advance free expression online, Public Citizen said today.
WikiLeaks published the complete draft of the Intellectual Property chapter for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP), a proposed international commercial pact between the United States and 11 Asian and Latin American countries.
- Read full press release from Public Citizen here
- View Wikileaks page on TPP
- Complete draft IP Chapter here
- joost5 likes this
- honugirl reblogged this from satanic-capitalist
- honugirl likes this
- sobleedingquadrophenic reblogged this from brutalductape
- shadowlandss reblogged this from oneshoebehind
- celiawithkent reblogged this from cultureofresistance
- twerk-killer reblogged this from satanic-capitalist
- shadowlandss likes this
- eliciaclegg likes this
- exposethetpp likes this
- theflowerfield reblogged this from mekakucitybloggers
- m011ip0p likes this
- aspirinparty reblogged this from satanic-capitalist
- noddytheornithopod reblogged this from satanic-capitalist
- noddytheornithopod likes this
- shadesofmystory reblogged this from youngflyintl
- amornuevo likes this
- yestweetybird likes this
- youmightbeamisogynist reblogged this from stringsdafistmcgee
- shelbychuckles reblogged this from tana-hina
- stringsdafistmcgee reblogged this from sustainableprosperity
- di-atom likes this
- noahskape reblogged this from satanic-capitalist
- dynamic-polarity reblogged this from satanic-capitalist
- dynamic-polarity likes this
- blackmagicalgirlmisandry likes this
- tana-hina reblogged this from mekakucitybloggers
- mekakucitybloggers reblogged this from joshkelly0489
- oneshoebehind reblogged this from satanic-capitalist
- zei21 likes this
- joshkelly0489 reblogged this from satanic-capitalist
- emilypeapot reblogged this from cultureofresistance
- walkingthefloor likes this
- michellehart99 reblogged this from satanic-capitalist
- sobleedingquadrophenic likes this
- brutalductape reblogged this from occupywatchdog
- occupywatchdog reblogged this from cultureofresistance
- ggwookie reblogged this from cultureofresistance
- chuckuhbee likes this
- justtohuman reblogged this from satanic-capitalist
- anunreliablesource likes this
- celiawithkent likes this
- cultureofresistance reblogged this from satanic-capitalist
- sustainableprosperity reblogged this from satanic-capitalist
- satanic-capitalist posted this